John Reid & Sons Ltd (REIDsteel) has an opening for an Estimator/Bid Manager to join its dedicated and successful team.
We are recruiting for the position as demand continues to grow for our services across the UK, Europe and worldwide.
Trainee estimator positions are also available for candidates wishing to take their first steps in the industry with our company.
Based in Christchurch, Dorset, we’re a dynamic and forward-thinking business which values its people and has exciting plans for the future.
Our team design, manufacture and construct high-quality steel structures including industrial buildings, aircraft hangars and their electro-mechanical doors, warehouses, stadia, multi-storey buildings, car parks and bridges, as well as defence equipment, manual and electric roller shutter doors, windows and curtain walling.
Our new Bid Manager/Estimator will work within our busy and highly motivated sales team on both steel and cladding with supporting interfaces to Business Development, Contracts, Design and the Drawing Office.
The role includes responsibility for ensuring bids are completed on time and to a high standard, reporting progress as required against an agreed programme.
Experience within the steel industry in a similar role is essential. The main duties and responsibilities are:
- Complying with all relevant company Health, Safety and Environmental policies
- To be inclusive and collaborative and creative in winning business
- Provide sales estimates and proposals to REIDsteel’s established customer base
- Work with the business development and project managers to ensure proposals fit with client expectations and yet achieve REIDsteel’s corporate goals, objectives and targets
- Liaise and communicate with the commercial department and suppliers and contractors to achieve best material prices, quality and lead-time
- Communicate closely with customers to understand project requirements
- In addition to bid preparation, chair handover and technical launch meetings to REIDsteel’s delivery teams and ensure accuracy of information transfer
- Hold regular project meetings to ensure departments are working to meet deadlines
- Possess a good understanding of the contractual process and project risk
- Co-ordinate and prepare all supporting documentation required in the tender bid
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the cost profile across the full manufacturing and installation process
- Work with the project manager to be responsible for costing of project variations
- Have a detailed market awareness of customers, competitors and suppliers
- Being client facing, customer visits and some travel may be expected from time to time
A range of key skills are required for the role. They include:
- Previous estimating and bidding experience in steel and/or cladding sectors
- Ability to undertake a reasonable level of technical and financial calculations
- Confident use of Strumis software an advantage, but not essential as training will be provided
- Technical ability to understand engineering drawings
- Strong commercial acumen
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Collaborative team player
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
This criteria is not exhaustive, but it covers the main duties of the Bid Manager/Estimator role.
Our company values are central to how we work and everything we do. We have a ‘One Team’ ethos which puts people and safety first to deliver for our customers.
We believe our people are our company – where team members are valued and treated with mutual respect within an inclusive and diverse culture which is open to all.
We prioritise safety over profit, and responsibly manage the impact that our business has on the environment.
Integrity is at the heart of all we do which means we believe in transparency, openness and honesty while embracing a ‘no blame culture’ in order to learn from mistakes, embrace change and drive continuous improvement.
We were the first contractor to sign the UK Steel Charter, have exported to more than 140 countries to date and are a four-times winner of the Queen’s Award’s for Enterprise (International Trade).
If you are interested in this role please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.