John Reid & Sons (Strucsteel) Ltd is seeking an enthusiastic graduate to design a wide range of steel structures.
This is an excellent opportunity for training and development to become a successful structural engineer and progress to IStructE chartership.
Work will include designing steel structures varying from simple buildings to large aircraft hangars, grandstands and highway bridges.
As your training progresses you will be expected to assist sales staff in the preparation of offers; the draughtspeople in the detailing of the building elements; erection staff in the safe methods of building; and the end clients with a view to encouraging them to come back to us. This is a demanding, hands on structural engineering position.
John Reid & Sons (Strucsteel) Ltd – REIDsteel – is a well-established company and as has a large export market, so the ability to use a variety of codes and design criteria is important.
We offer a competitive remuneration package including bonuses that scale as you rise through the engineering levels within the company.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complying with all relevant company Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental (QHSE) policies.
- Conceptual design – working in partnership with the sales team.
- Analysis design – using linear element or finite element software.
- Detail design – of all connections, bolts and welds.
- Preparing design calculations for draughtspeople and building control.
- Taking a leading role in preparing the CDM risk register for each building.
- Assisting with the preparation of safe erection methods.
- Attending meetings, both internal and client facing, as required.
- Optimising designs to produce structures that are safe, easy to draw, manufacture, ship and erect as well as being cost effective.
- Assisting with the preparation of operation and maintenance manuals for the client.
- Strong mathematics ability
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to lead others
- CAD software
- Knowledge of basic structural analysis concepts
- Linear element or finite element analysis experience
- Surveying experience
- Programming skills. Especially in vb.net, C# or SQL
The above list is not exhaustive but it covers the main duties of the graduate structural engineer. There may be other duties, not mentioned here, which become part of the job.
REIDsteel has a ‘one team’ ethos where every employee is valued equally and there is a focus on safety and wellbeing.