Graduate Structural Engineer
We design, manufacture and construct high quality steel structures including industrial buildings, aircraft hangars and their electro-mechanical doors, warehouses, grandstands, multi-storey buildings, car parks and bridges, as well as defence equipment, manual and electric roller shutter doors, windows and curtain walling.
Our company values are central to how we work and everything we do:
- We prioritise safety over profit
- All of our activities are carried out with safety in mind
- Safety is the first consideration before work commences
- We responsibly manage the impact that our business has on the environment
Transparency and openness
- We believe in transparency, openness and honesty and the importance of sharing our plans and performance with our team
- We understand the impact of our actions on the team and our external stakeholders
- Integrity is at the heart of all we do
No blame culture … open to change
- We seek solutions, not scapegoats
- We use our continuous improvement culture to improve the way we do things every day
- We learn from our mistakes and embrace change
- When an error occurs, we identify the root cause and implement changes to prevent recurrence
- Our people are our company, together we are one team
- We treat our team members with mutual respect
- We promote an inclusive and diverse culture open to all
- We work as one team across functional disciplines to deliver for our customers
This is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic graduate keen to receive further training to grow into a successful Structural Engineer and progress towards chartership with the IstructE.
Work will include designing steel structures varying from simple buildings to large aircraft hangars; grandstands to highway bridges.
As your training progresses you will be expected to assist sales staff in the preparation of offers; the draughtspeople in the detailing of the building elements; erection staff in the safe methods of building; and the end clients with a view to encouraging them to come back to us. This is a demanding, hands on structural engineering position.
We are a well-established company and have a large export market, so the ability to use a variety of codes and design criteria is important.
We offer a competitive remuneration package including bonuses that scale as you rise through the Engineering levels within the company.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Complying with all relevant Company Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental policies.
- Conceptual design – working in partnership with the sales team.
- Analysis design – using linear element or finite element software.
- Detail design – of all connections, bolts and welds.
- Preparing design calculations for draughtspeople and building control.
- Taking a leading role in preparing the CDM risk register for each building.
- Assisting with the preparation of safe erection methods.
- Attending meetings, both internal and client facing, as required.
- Optimising designs to produce structures that are safe, easy to draw, manufacture, ship and erect as well as being cost effective.
- Assisting with the preparation of operation and maintenance manuals for the client.
- Strong mathematics ability
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to lead others
- CAD software
- Knowledge of basic structural analysis concepts
- Linear element or finite element analysis experience
- Surveying experience
- Programming skills. Especially in vb.net, C# or SQL
The above list is not exhaustive but it covers the main duties of the Graduate Structural Engineer.
There may be other duties, not mentioned here, which become part of the job.