Placement: Student Structural Engineer
Full time minimum 30-week placement as part of student’s degree course.
Work will include designing steel structures varying from simple buildings to large aircraft hangars; grandstands to highway bridges.
As your training progresses you will be expected to assist sales staff in the preparation of offers; the draughtspeople in the detailing of the building elements; erection staff in the safe methods of building; and the end clients with a view to encouraging them to come back to us. This is a demanding, hands on structural engineering position.
We are a well-established company and have a large export market, so the ability to use a variety of codes and design criteria is important.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Complying with all relevant Company Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental policies.
- Conceptual design – working in partnership with the sales team.
- Analysis design – using linear element or finite element software.
- Detail design – of all connections, bolts and welds.
- Preparing design calculations for draughtspeople and building control.
- Taking a leading role in preparing the CDM risk register for each building.
- Assisting with the preparation of safe erection methods.
- Attending meetings, both internal and client facing, as required.
- Optimising designs to produce structures that are safe, easy to draw, manufacture, ship and erect as well as being cost effective.
- Assisting with the preparation of operation and maintenance manuals for the client.
Applications close 30 April 2023 – please apply with CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org